Friday, July 25, 2008

You Will Get Ripped Off Online

There's almost no helping it. The University of Michigan has found widespread flaws in more than 75% of the online banking sites they surveyed. I'm hoping that they surveyed sites for smaller, crappier online banks, and not the big guys.

Identity theft scares the crap out of me. And yet it's almost a requirement to keep more and more of our personal identifying information online. I take some solace in the fact that the survey looked at websites from 214 financial institutions back in 2006. Maybe they upgraded their security features since then? Who am I kidding. They almost definitely haven't.

Especially with the rising cost of gas these days, I want to do more of my shopping online. Maybe I can still save on gas by ordering over the phone, from catalogs? It's worth a try.

Digg this Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

The header image is adapted from a photo taken by Bill McChesney and used under a creative commons license.
 
ss_blog_claim=59c833aa066112eeabade1b22648d49b ss_blog_claim=59c833aa066112eeabade1b22648d49b